Islamabad, June 27, 2018 (PPI-OT): The Senate Standing Committee on Kashmir affairs and Gilgit Baltistan met in an urgent session, today, to examine the increasingly deteriorating situation of human rights in occupied Kashmir. The committee said that innocent people of the occupied territory were being subjected to the worst atrocities by the Indian forces.
The committee on the occasion issued a declaration wherein it:
1. Condemned the reprehensible and blatant use of force by Indian occupation forces against innocent Kashmiris, whose only demand is the right to self-determination,
2. Also condemned the killing, arbitrary detention, use of pellet guns, torture, enforced disappearances, restriction on freedom of expression by reprisals against human rights activists, rape and sexual violence,
3. Appreciated the focus in the recent report of the UNOHCHR on human rights violations in IOK and the human rights situation there and welcomed the High Commissioner’s recommendation to send a Commission of Inquiry to IOK to investigate the human rights violations listed in the OHCHR report,
4. Also condemned the killing of Shujaat Bukhari immediately after he tweeted welcoming the UN OHCHR report,
5. Called upon the UN High Commissioner to send a Commission of Inquiry to IOK, immediately considering the increasing intensity of violence and use of force against the Kashmiri people in IOK,
6. Underscored the indigenous nature of the Kashmiris’ struggle in IOK,
7. Called upon the UN to implement its resolutions on the Kashmir dispute.
The meeting was also attended by AJK Hurriyat leaders, Ghulam Muhammad Safi, Muhammad Farooq Rehmani, Abdul Hameed Lone, Sheikh Muhammad Yaqoob, Mehmood Ahmed Saghar, Abdul Majeed Mir, Syed Aijaz Ahmed Shah and Khadim Hussain.
For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: +92-51-4435548, +92-51-4435549