IOK family worried about cancer-stricken jailed son : AsiaNet-Pakistan

IOK family worried about cancer-stricken jailed son

October 6, 2019 | General, Official News | Share:

Srinagar, October 06, 2019 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, the family members of Parvez Ahmad Pala are worried about his health as he was picked up from his house at Matibug village in Kulgam district by the Indian forces on August 6. Muhammad Ayub Pala, 60, father of Parvez Ahmad Pala, in a media interview in Srinagar said, he is unsure whether his cancer-stricken son is dead or alive.

The arrest came a day after India abrogated the special status of the territory on August 5 and imposed lockdown and communication blockade to prevent protest demonstrations. “At night, the forces entered our house and took him away. I ran after him but they kicked me and put him in a vehicle,” his father recounted the night.

Parvez Ahmad Pala, who has two children, aged eight and 10, is a cancer patient. The family said he also suffers from a skin disease and has paralysis in one of his hands. He was booked under the draconian Public Safety Act (PSA), a law that allows detention up to two years without bail.

Parvez’s family said officials in a prison in Uttar Pradesh state’s Bareilly district in India denied them permission to meet their sick son. “I went to meet him on August 17 but the jail authorities there did not allow. I pleaded with them to just give him the medicines and clothes but to no avail. I came back heartbroken after trying for three days,” his father said. “I do not know if he is dead or alive,” he added.

“I had never been to the place… I am an illiterate man and had to take another villager with me who is educated. I had to bear his expenses. We cannot afford to go there again,” he said, as family members around him break into tears.

“If he does not apply two ointments on his skin before sleeping, it is very painful for him and his skin starts peeling off. We are so worried about him, we cry all the time praying for him,” his mother Shareefa said on the occasion.

Parvez’s family has filed a petition in the high court of the territory, challenging his detention on medical grounds. But they fear the legal battle might be too long while his life remains at stake. “We are trying everything, but when the court lists the case after a month, what surety do we have of his life. I approached all top offices but they send me from one place to another,” deplored Muhammad Ayub.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: +92-51-4435548, +92-51-4435549
Fax: +92-51-4861736


Category: General, Official News