Srinagar, October 19, 2014 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, the High Court of occupied has directed the authorities to produce status of the latest investigation into the horrible1991 Kunan-Poshpora mass rape incident.
Hearing a petition filed on behalf of the victims, a division bench of Chief Justice M M Kumar and Justice Ali Mohammad Magray said, “The order dated (August 12, 2014) has not been complied with.” The compensation as per the directions issued has not been paid to victims of crime…Let the amount be paid and receipt of the amount be produced on adjourned date,” the bench added.
The authorities have sought four weeks time to pay compensation to the survivors of the mass rape victims.
On the intervening night of February 23 and 24 in 1991, the troops had gang-raped around 100 women in Kunanposhpora area of Kupwara during a siege and search operation.
Police had closed the case in 1991 as untraced; the case was reopened last year on the directions of a magistrate.
The status report with regard to investigation shall also be also filed, the court said, and posted the matter for further consideration on November 11.
For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549