Srinagar, May 16, 2014 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, the International Forum for Justice and Human Rights Jammu and Kashmir has said that India’s National Human Rights Commission has always adopted dual policy with regard to Kashmir.
The Forum Chairman, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, in a statement issued in Srinagar on the 15th anniversary of Tangdhar killings said that the families of the six youth, who were killed by Indian troops in a fake encounter, were still waiting for justice.
He said that in almost all the cases pertaining to human rights abuses in occupied Kashmir, the Commission had always been prejudiced in its approach. “In all the staged encounters and other issues related to human rights violations by Army and paramilitary forces in the territory, the Commission has applied a different yardstick,” he added.
He said that the victims of Tangdhar encounter and all other such massacres were yet to get justice from the Commission, which had lost its relevance in the occupied territory. He demanded an independent probe into the Tangdhar killings.
In this regard, a petition filed by Muhammad Ahsan Untoo on June 14, 2000, before Human Rights Commission of the occupied territory stating that during the intervening night of May 15/16 in 2000, six youth were arrested from their houses in Sopore by Indian troops and were tortured to death. Then their bodies were taken to Tangdhar area of Kupwara where media persons were told that the youth had been killed in an encounter.
For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549