IOK shuts on 2nd day against killings, HR abuses

Srinagar, September 15, 2013 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, complete shutdown was observed on the second consecutive day, today, to protest against the civilian killings in Shopian and other human rights violations by Indian troops in the territory.

Call for the two-day shutdown had been given by the veteran Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani, to convey the message to India that the Kashmiris were determined to continue their liberation struggle till complete success. All shops and business establishments remained closed while traffic was off the road.

Meanwhile, curfew remained in force in Shopian town on the ninth day running to prevent people from holding demonstrations against the killings. Restrictions were put in place in Kulgam and Pulwama areas. Several people were injured, yesterday, due to the use of brute force against protesters by Indian police in Srinagar, Badgam, Ganderbal, Bandipora, Sopore, Baramulla and other areas. The occupation authorities continued to place the APHC Chairman, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, and other Hurriyet leaders including Syed Ali Gilani, Muhammad Yasin Malik, Shabbir Ahmad Shah, Nayeem Ahmad Khan and Zafar Akbar Butt under house arrest.

Syed Ali Gilani in a statement in Srinagar termed as an eyewash the so-called probe ordered by the puppet administration into Shopian killings. He said that such inquiries were announced in many such incidents in the past but their findings were not made public and the perpetrators were not brought to justice. He also deplored the silence of the world community over the grim situation in the territory.

Despite restrictions, the leaders of Tehreek-e-Hurriyet Jammu and Kashmir, Muhammad Yousuf Falahi and Shakeel Ahmed Etoo, reached Sadapora area of Shopian and expressed solidarity with the family of an innocent driver, Muhammad Rafiq Rather, who was killed in the unprovoked firing of troops on Wednesday.

APHC leader, Muhammad Yousuf Naqash, and human rights activist, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, visited Baramulla and condoled the death of Hurriyet leader, Abdul Rasheed Ghazi, with his family. Abdul Rasheed Ghazi was recently found dead under mysterious circumstances.

In Geneva, a member of APHC-AJK chapter, Altaf Hussain Wani, addressing a seminar on the sidelines of the 24th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council said that Indian troops violating all the international laws had been engaged in the genocide of the people in occupied Kashmir. He was accompanied by Kashmiri representatives, Syed Faiz Naqshbandi, Sardar Amjad Yousuf, Sardar Asadullah Khan, Ms Shamim Shawl and Maria Shah.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736